Although outdated by now, the following two books contain valuable information for those interested in developments in Dutch foreign policy:
- J.J.C. Voorhoeve, Peace, Profits and Principles: a Study of Dutch foreign Policy, The Hague: Nijhoff, 1979
- J.H. Leurdijk (ed.), The Foreign Policy of the Netherlands, Alphen aan den Rijn: Sijthoff & Noordhoff, 1978.
More recent developments are discussed in:
- T.R. Rochon, The Netherlands: the Politics of Internationalism. Boulder: Westview, 1997
- J.G. Siccama, Security from a Functional Perspective: the Case of the Netherlands. In: G. Herolf (ed.), Europe: Creating Security Through International Organizations, Stockholm: Swedish Institute of International Affairs, 1996, pp. 87-100
- B.C. Cohen, Democracies and Foreign Policy: Public Participation in the United States and the Netherlands. Madison Wisc.: University of Wisconsin Press, 1995
- A. van Staden, Small State Strategies in Alliances: the Case of the Netherlands, Cooperation and Conflict, Vol. 30 (1995), pp. 31-53
- The Foreign Policy of the Netherlands: a Review. The Hague: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, information department, 1995
- B.C. Cohen, Political Parties and Foreign Policy in the United States and the Netherlands, Acta Politica, Vol. 25 (1990), pp. 451-466
- P.P. Everts and G. Walraven (ed.), The Politics of Persuasion. Implementation of Foreign Policy by the Netherlands. Aldershot: Avebury, 1989.
On some of the Netherlands’ most important bilateral relations, see:
- R. Aspeslagh and H. Dekker, An Equivoval Relationship: Germany and the Netherlands, in: C. Lankowski (ed.), Break Out, Break Down or Break In? Germany and the European Union After Amsterdam, Washington: American Institute of Contemporary German Studies, 1998, pp. 11-20
- D. Hellema, Backing Britain: The Netherlands and the Suez Crisis, Diplomacy and Statecraft, Vol.4 (1993), pp. 37-58
- H. Loeber (ed.), Dutch-American Relations 1945-1969: a Partnership; Illusions and Facts, Assen: Van Gorcum, 1992.
On Dutch defence policy, see for example:
- J. van der Meulen and Ph. Manigart, Zero Draft in the Low Countries; the Final Shift to the All-Volunteer Force, Armed Forces & Society, Vol.24 (1997), pp. 315-332
- G.W. Rees, The Netherlands: Reorientation of its Defence Priorities, Contemporary Security Policy, Vol. 17 (1996)
- Th. Van den Doel, A Review of Dutch Defense Policy: Challenges and Risks, in J.G. Siccama and Th.van den Doel (eds), Restructuring Armed Forces in East and West, Boulder: Westview, 1994, pp. 57-67
- R.B. Soetendorp, Nuclear Decision-Making and Nuclear Policy in the Netherlands. In: H. Müller (ed.), How Western European Nuclear Policy Is Made. London: Macmillan, 1991, pp. 155-170.